By: Natalie Kinstle, Harris County Tiger Times News, April 28th, 2017
A pedestrian was recently hit and killed on Monday night while walking across Fox Run Parkway in Opelika, Alabama. A 2014 Chevrolet Impala was traveling north along the parkway as the victim was walking south on it, within the northbound right turning lane. The pedestrian walked out in front of the car, and was hit.
Authorities received a call about the collision around 9:48 PM. The victim was later pronounced dead due to severe injuries resulting from the accident. The crash is still under investigation by the Opelika Police Department Traffic Homicide Unit.
In order to prevent similar incidents in the future, here are a few road crossing procedures:
- Stop a few steps back from the curb (shoulder of the road)
- Look in all directions fro approaching traffic
- Listen for nearby traffic
- Think about whether it is safe to cross the road
- Make sure the road is clear and all traffic has stopped
- Walk straight across the road
- Continue looking and listening for traffic while crossing
- If you are in a vehicle, look and stop for pedestrians in the pedestrian cross walk
Sources: Ledger Enquirer