Maegan McCart- Sophomore-February 1, 2017
Police are searching for the delinquents who damaged, what one local civilian said, was nearly 500 headstones at a Jewish graveyard in Philadelphia. Money is being raised to repair the graves and to identify and prosecute the prejudice attackers. On the morning of February 27, 2017, more than a dozen Jewish Community Centers (JCC) in the US received telephone bomb threats. The ultimatums were made to JCC locations in Alabama, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania and Virginia. In a statement, the JCC’s David Posner said that government officials “must speak out – and speak out forcefully – against this scourge of anti-Semitism impacting communities across the country”.
“Actions speak louder than words. Members of our community must see swift and concerted action from federal officials to identify and capture the perpetrator or perpetrators who are trying to instill anxiety and fear in our communities,” the statement read. Later that day, US Attorney General Jeff Sessions said the recent bomb threats against Jewish groups are “unacceptable” and a “very serious and destructive practice”. A man visiting his father’s grave at Philadelphia’s Mount
Carmel Cemetery on Sunday called police after finding that approximately 100 headstones had been knocked over.
“It was very disheartening, and I’m hoping it was maybe just some drunk kids,” Aaron Mallin told WPVI-TV.
“But the fact that there’s so many, it leads one to think it could have been targeted,” Mr Mallin said about cemetery, which dates back to the mid-1800s. Many of the headstones had been toppled over, and some had cracked in half.